Thursday 3 December 2009

Why games will never be an essential purchase..

This game can't arrive soon enough





.....According to your girlfriend that is! My girlfriend doesn't share the same passion for video games as me, don't get me wrong she does play games such as More Brain Training on the DS, random crappy Facebook games like Christmas Crunch and Bricks Breaking. My favourite game that she plays has to be guess what you have done wrong to piss me off this time. This is also one game I can also join in on as I try to guess what the hell I have done this time; this can range from not picking up socks, using 4 pans and 8 plates to make myself a sandwich, saying I will do something in a minute then not doing it for hours or as she sees it wasting money on video games when I already have so many.

You can try explaining to your girlfriend that not all games are the same, only you will occasionally hit the stumbling block when you end up getting a sequel to a game that looks exactly the same as the previous incarnation when seen through a girlfriends eyes. (Ratchet & Clank, Command & Conquer, Skate and the yearly sports updates spring to mind) OK she has a point with the yearly sport title updates to a degree, But how can the last Ratchet & Clank game look like the new one? It has different weapons in it and er.... OK yeah that looks the same to a certain extent. Still if I like the series and want the latest game in the series I will buy it as would any other gamer.

Huge Monsters!! Hell Yeah

The other day I bought Overlord II and Fuel as they were in a sale so only cost me around £15, really they cost me an extra £10 as I felt guilty about buying them, so I ended up giving my girlfriend £10 for petrol/gas for her car. (A car I should really be paying petrol towards since she drops me off at work and then picks me up in when I have finished) Am I really doing anything wrong though buying these games? The way I think about it is this is my hobby and I really don't spend as much on games as I could do, plus I have something to show for it afterwards. (Not just Trophies and Achievements but an actual physical object) Mind you the same can be said about many women and there obscene amounts of shoes, I guess games are the male equivalent of that.

Worth getting in trouble with the girlfriend for??

I don't think that she really minds me buying games though, If Nessa did she would be the first one to tell me in her own unique way of slamming her fist against my head and yelling (Only joking) She does however begrudge me buying them when we need some non-essential purchase like food or something. So just how do I tell her that I have just ordered Demon's Souls with the art book and cd for £50 from ebay?


That's an easy one, I am not going to tell her to save on getting in trouble. The only way she will find out is if she catches me sneaking it into the house after getting it sent to my dads house instead of ours. (Or reads this blog entry) That is unless my dad gives Nessa the games you are getting delivered to his house (Just like with Overlord II and Fuel) to give to you when you finish work. (Thanks dad) Hopefully it will be here by Monday as I can't wait to get my grubby mitts on it.

No comments: