Sunday 25 July 2010

Medal of Honor Online Beta Impressions


I quite enjoyed the online side of Battlefield: Bad Company 2, so theoretically I should enjoy the multi-player side of Medal of Honor as they were both made by DICE. Yet for some reason this isn't the case and I can't quite work out why. Medal of Honor online plays a bit like Call of Duty and Battlefield mixed together. There is a level system like in Call of Duty where gaining levels gets you better weapons, throw in the ability to call in Mortar Strikes and other such kill streak rewards and that is about it for the Call of Duty side of things. (Oh wait there are also the popular Noob tubes as well, oh joy)

The battlefield elements are basically the level design (Only one level is included in the Beta) The gameplay is your basic rush affair where you have to keep pushing forward to capture strategic points and push the enemy back, or defend from the attacking forces if your on the defending side. Sounds great doesn't it, yet for some reason I am not enjoying the game, one thing that has always been said about the Call of Duty series is the unbalanced side of things that the level up system creates.



A level one gamer with nothing unlocked will find it harder to kill someone thats a level 55 with nearly every weapon and enhancement unlocked, and the same can also be said of this game.(I am not saying that I got killed every 2 seconds in the Beta, but half the rounds I played I finished in the top 3 players, then the other half I was mid table at best due to playing people at higher levels)

Graphically the game isn't as polised as you would expect it to be either, hopefully it will get tweaked and polished a bit more before the final release. Maybe this is going to be one of those marmite games like Modern Warfare 2 (Some will love it, others will hate it) I guess we will find out when the game finally arrives later on this year.

No comments: