Sunday 6 June 2010

You Want To Sell Me What?

Over the years we have seen various things for sale in shops such as extra lives, armour, weapons and other things we expect to see in shops while playing video games. Every so often there are some things we don't expect to see such as the chopper and motorbike that appear in Alex Kidd in Miracle World, which really add something to the game play and change the feel of the game. There are probably many other games that do this but Alex Kidd is the first one that springs to mind.

The whole thing that got me thinking of things for sale in video games is Yakuza 3 (As I finally decided to take it off my shelves, unwrap it and finally play the game. It seems reminiscent of Shenmue in some ways, yet is nothing like Shenmue if that makes any sense. (No having to do a pretend job of driving a fork lift truck in the game is a bonus) I do seem to be involved in a fight every few minutes though as random people walk up to me saying that they are bored and do I want to fight. (Just like half the drunks on a Saturday night out for most people in the UK) After a while of fighting you need to replenish your health with food or a drink from one of the shops in Yakuza 3. So I walked into one of the shops only to find this for sale...

Yep that's right! Yakuza 3 will let you buy not just any blow-up doll, they let you buy a "Large Blow-Up Doll" it is really one of the strangest things I have ever come across in a video game. (No pun intended, but hey anything for a cheap laugh) It got me thinking of what other strange stuff you don't expect to see in shops in a video game. I really can't think of anything at the moment though, which is a shame as I am sure there are some great items I have seen and forgotten about from my gaming past. Well I am off to see what Kazuma Kiryu will need this blow-up doll for, it can't be anything that bad though as the Daily Mail and Fox News haven't made an issue of the game. (Well not yet anyway)

No comments: