Friday 9 January 2009

My Love/Hate Affair With My Nintendo DS

I have a DS, more than likely you also have a DS as well, with around 10 or so games probably. That seems to be the average amount of games a casual DS player owns, and in this selection of games most people will have about 2 that they actually play, and 8 others they bought as A) They thought they may enjoy them and didn't or B) They were on sale or recieved them as a gift.

It got me thinking though, out of my DS games I play only a few and I only picked up and dusted my DS for the simple reason that I got an R4 card so I can play emulators on it. Something I still am yet to do, the R4 card sits among the pile of junk on my desk yet to be opened. (My desk is a complete mess with takeaway menus, scraps of paper, CD's and other crap piled on top of each other for sorting out. Something I have been sorting out for about 6 months, and it keeps growing with new things getting balanced on the mountain of shit that needs throwing out)


So as I was saying, I am now playing my DS again Nintendo's little portable machine that can be enjoyed everywhere. Everywhere that is if you don't live in a place full of scum that wouldn't think of smashing you round the head to steal anything shiny, heck even for 2 lousy pounds. (My town just seems to be getting worse all the time, and as it's the largest town in Europe that is a lot of junkie scum in one place)

Maybe you think I am being over cautious but with the local newspaper not even covering stabbings that happen in the town anymore you can see something isn't right. Heck two people got robbed and stabbed only the other week 500 yards away from my house, and about a month or so ago someone broke into a 70+ year old womans home just down the road from me and raped then robbed her. (Come to Bolton the smack capital of the UK) So as a result I am limited to where I can play Nintendo's delightful little machine.


So I am left with very few choices of where to actually play my DS, like in my garden when the sun is shining and it's not raining (That's about 4 weeks a year) or somewhere in my house, and we all know where that is 90%. (Toilet gaming is indeed FTMFW!) I have this wonderful little machine that makes me able to play games anywhere as long as it is charged up, But why would I spend my time looking at a little screen when I can play games on various systems on a 42inch Hi-Def TV. I love my DS its great and lot's of fun, at the same time I hate it for never actually using it as Nintendo want me to use it. Let's all play games using Wi-Fi while sat on the bus, or while your sat in McDonald's eating your extra large fat burger and fries with a diet coke. (Why the fuck does it never look like on the picture on display? I want that burger not the shitty excuse for a burger that I get. You know the one that looks like it has been taken out of the trash)


I know this isn't Nintendo's fault, it's mine for living in a junkie filled town full of scum. The thing is I really want to use my DS a lot more, I just can't seem to bring myself to play it anywhere other than on the toilet these days. The fact that is my only use for the system just fills me full of regret, and a little sad that I live in a place that isn't part of Nintendo's perfect world. As a result I hate my DS for making me feel this way, just as much as I hate the junkie's and scum that seem to be breeding like rabbits and dragging us back down the evolutionary scale.

No comments: